Katie Voelcker’s life underwent a significant transformation when she had quadruplets, and she now faces the challenge of raising multiple children. Here are some key points from her experience and advice for other moms:
1. Life Before Quadruplets: Before having quadruplets, Katie enjoyed reading books, taking care of household chores, and spontaneous outings to the park with her 4-year-old son, Tyler.
2. High-Risk Pregnancy and Delivery: Katie delivered her quadruplets at 32 weeks and 4 days, which is considered premature. She had been hospitalized for two weeks before delivery, and a team of 26 nurses and doctors was involved in the birthing process.
3. Neonatal Intensive Care Unit (NICU): Premature and high-risk babies often require a stay in the NICU for observation and care. The quadruplets spent several weeks in the NICU before they could go home.
4. Fertility Treatments and Unexpected Multiples: Katie had undergone fertility treatments, and her husband, Allen, was a twin. However, they did not expect to have four babies at once.
5. Challenges of Raising Quadruplets: Raising multiples can be extremely exhausting, with a high demand for feeding, diaper changes, and very little sleep. Katie’s day is filled with tasks like feeding, changing, and taking care of the babies.
6. Finding Time for Oneself: Katie mentions that finding time for herself can be a challenge. She looks forward to brief moments of relaxation, such as going grocery shopping, taking a shower, or having a quiet moment during nap and bedtime. She emphasizes the importance of self-care during these moments.
fortunate to have the support of a caring teenager named Nikki from her church, who helps with childcare, allowing Katie and Allen to spend quality time together. Support from friends, family, or trusted individuals can be invaluable.
8. Advice to Other Moms: Katie’s advice to other moms, especially those raising multiple children, is not to be afraid to ask for help. She highlights that there are good people willing to help and that sometimes, reaching out and asking for assistance is all it takes.
In summary, Katie’s story sheds light on the challenges and demands of raising quadruplets but also underscores the importance of seeking help and finding moments of personal care amidst the chaos of a busy family life.